Monday, May 2, 2016

Week 9: A Wide World of Comics

            The comic I read for this week was Papyrus by Lucien de Gieter. It takes place in Ancient Egypt and follows a fisherman name Papyrus as he protects the princess Theti-Cheri from danger. In the particular issue I read Papyrus showed mercy in letting a crocodile live. The crocodile turned out to be a god who felt he owed Papyrus for sparing his life. Later on someone is trying to assassinate the pharaoh and Papyrus must come to the rescue. In reality it is the god he saved earlier who conveniently comes to the rescue.
          I wasn't a huge fan of this comic. It felt slow, predictable, and kind of dry. It wasn't a terrible comic by any means, the art work was nice ant there was a clear story and flow. Papyrus is just a comic that doesn't line up with the entertainment I enjoy. I find it quite hard to write about it because of this.
         Papyrus fits into the theme of this week because it was written by a french man and takes place in Egypt, and despite all that became popular in the United States. One of the shining qualities of Papyrus is it's use of Ancient Egypt's myths and legends. I don't know much about the gods of Ancient Egypt or their stories and I'm sure many Americans got to learn about it from Papyrus.

No comments:

Post a Comment