Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Week 14: The Future of Comics


         It is no secret that comics are moving to the digital side of things, it's cheaper to produce, easier to gain a following, and in some ways faster to draw digitally (god bless the "undo" button). I'm not a huge webcomic reader, but the most recent one I have been enjoying Ava's Demon by Michelle Czajkowski. It's about a young girl who has a pact with a demon that causes her eyes to glow and give her powers of sorts.
         I didn't get super far into it, but the artwork is absolutely gorgeous. It's all painted nicely and the use of color is excellent. It looks like a series of illustrations for a children's book. Also the illustrator really takes advantage of the digital format. The ending of chapters always feature an animation with a well placed soundtrack.
        As comics evolve on the web are they still considered comics? Ava's Demon would be rather difficult to print because of the animated endings, and even if you did the effect would not be the same. It's almost like its a hybrid between comics an animation. My hope for the future is that people still appreciate and create more "traditional" comics. Like reading a book on paperback instead of an electronic tablet, there is something very nice about disconnecting from the web and technology and only connecting with the story in front of you. This class has strengthened my appreciation for comics as well as exposed me to many new comics I would be ignorant to otherwise. It's been very inspiring and I'm making a list of comics I would like to read this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment