Monday, May 2, 2016

Week 8: Stereotype and the Ethics of Representation


Stereotypes in the context of comics, animation, and gaming narrative are used to make a character that everyone can understand quickly. The idea is that by using stereotypes the audience can quickly label secondary characters in a more one-dimensional way. That way the author can establish the role they need the character to fill without wasting time giving a back-story. 
I think that playing off of preconceived stereotypes can be very beneficial for a story. For example: in One Punch Man the main character Saitama has a very generic design. You'd expect his character to be a background one, perhaps a boring businessman. In reality he is a very strong crime fighter who defeats his enemies with one punch. Using stereotypes so people expect one thing and then you surprise them with another is a very satisfying use.
That all being said I think a lot of stereotypes shouldn’t be used or should be used very delicately. Whenever a Muslim man is portrayed as a terrorist in media it affects the way that the population views all Muslim men. In some ways this is how Hitler got as many followers as he did. He stereotyped the Jewish people as being lesser beings and convinced a lot of people that it was true.
            I don’t have to deal with as much stereotyping s some people do, but it still does happen if you are a small white girl. A specific scenario I can remember is when I went to the home depot to get some tools. At the time I had participated in Habitat For Humanity, so I had experience with power tools and building in general. The man I asked for assistance from took one look at me and tried to steer me away from the power tools. He was rude and it was very clear to me that he did not believe that women should be building anything. This moment was just a minor inconvenience at most, but still very frustrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment